Friday, August 04, 2006

And then Sissyphus Jumped...

It's finally... finally, done. I sent in my resignation a couple of days back. Sissyphus jumped...

My future plans are not exactly crystal clear, but I do know I want to give myself a chance to create something meaningful, and that I will be able to figure my way through this.

Now that the moment is passed, it's quite interesting to observe the kinds of emotions that one is subject to when the notion of not having a salary handed to you every month starts to dawn on you. For an entire day before walking into my boss' office to break the news I fretted about it. And then... poof, a wierd sense of relief in the immediate aftermath. And since then, an interesting combination of what-if scenario building, hope and raw fear.

Finally, in the last days leading up to this particular jump, my sweetheart parents and my dear sis pretty much gave up on me :)... anything to stop me bitching anymore about my job or throwing wild ideas up for consideration! So now, they're keeping a bleary-eyed watch on me, with this cool combination of a "go do it" look, a "ayyo rama, this silly boy" look and a "see! i told you so!!" look all in different stages of expression!

It's been a year since I first thought I should take the plunge. I really thought I should give the corporate life a fair chance and evaluate entrepreneurship having experienced the pros and cons of working in a company.

Having spent a year at Cubicle Farm, I've learnt a few things about myself that helped me find the gumption to take that first step in what is bound to be a long, hard road ahead.

Sissyphus (in some random order):

  • wants to do something meaningful - make people happy and be able to see it! I'm not seeing how I can do that here and get all kicked up about a sub-sub-sub-system that hardly any non-geek, non-buried-in-enterprise-IT types will EVER use.
  • has got some generally acknowledged (good) qualities/capabilities apart from the generally acknowledged evil ones - sarcastic giggles at this point of time are not welcome... Thank you.
  • is fanatical about doing stuff that HE thinks up/ thinks is cool/wants to do - this is a very dangerous and silly thing.
  • is tenacious about making others come around to doing what he wants (or mebbe he's just been darn lucky thus far that it was something they wanted to do in the first place)
  • is not tenacious when it's not his baby and someone just told him to "do it".
  • is appreciated for good work when he pushes his pet projects through.
  • HATES having to listen to people when he doesn't think they are doing the right thing/speaking something sensible/being constructive
  • isn't motivated by "good boy" compliments, "bad boy" reprimands... super important for regular workplace survival
  • wants to be obscenely rich but at the same time is a pretty frugal tam-bram types (okay... maybe my definitions of "Frugal" are wayyy off the board!), but obscene wealth (and the ability to do kinkier and wilder experiments in life), ain't happening on this get-a-job-ticket.
  • does not like what he has to look forward to in doing this job thing super-well for the next 10 years or so... what the super-successful seem to be doing does not sound like a lot of fun at all !! :((
  • is not really able to define himself in any other way that forms a neat subset that's already out there... he's tried... promise!!
I somehow feel I've been kidding myself. I'm never going to find my quest, or the answers to it, unless I start searching for it actively. the answers aren't around me where I stand, and that means I'm going to have to let go of this boat and swim a while as I try to look... and hopefully, hope floats!

So... time to get a-thinkin'. My ideas are still kinda shlushing around, and I'm hoping the time invested thus far will actually bear fruit and result in a tangible business plan that I'm going to be able to run with in a month from now, when I leave. If not, I'm at some level, reasonably at peace with the notion that I'm going to have to figure something out.

So there ends the latest installment... it's been an eventful few weeks since my last update... and yes.. this was a cathartic core-dump type of session... and yes, I did tell you (hallooo?? anyone??) that I started this blog just so i could rant.. so there!

On a more random note... what do you think about a blog where people write about their startup experience? A bunch of us are on the road now, so it might be interesting to just set up something and see what folks have to say. Might even get us some investors, what!??? :) Methinks itsakewl-kewl idea... predictably :)

wogay, now i am going to do random cleaning up stuff from my workplace. plis to be leaving comments (and money :) ).

S

4 Comments:

Blogger The Wag said...

Hey,
Despite what I say, remember I'm there to help!! After all I'm hoping you need help and will keep ME employed!!! So go forth my friend and do as you will ... Thank God you've already invested in a degree or three and that should assure oyu that some body will be willing to pick you up if you ever lose your way... Not that we think you will though!!!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Inkk said...

‘But the sheep had taught him something more important : that there was a language in the world that everyone understood, a language the boy had used throughout the time that he was trying to improve things at the shop. It was the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired…

I can always go back to being a shepherd, the boy thought. I learned how to care for sheep, and I haven't forgotten how that's done. But maybe I'll never have another chance to get to the Pyramids in Egypt…”

The Alchemist

5:33 PM  
Blogger A-Muse said...

hey,
btw, pa's reaction (completely contrary to what any of us had ever imagined ), no flicker of eye even (if ma is to be trusted with face reading capabilities), was " hmm.. [insert]'the-name-of-u're-soon to be ex-employer' is a terrible place to work for anyway.. He'd find something more exciting anywhere "!!! Whaaaattt??? Since when have you started inspiring such confidence?? or else.. now I;m REALLY worried abt my dad :))
What;s happening to my father of (ex-)explosive-i-don't-understand-kids-these-days- reaction fame ????:)
siighh.... no fun anymore :)
Look what i;ve done to them :)

5:34 PM  
Blogger Chatter Box said...

Bravo dude:) Welcome to your world which is so much more fun where you are driven by passion and of course where you make your money and you slog for it too:)

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home